For introductory courses in Geography.
This unique educational tool introduces the countries of the world and the states of the United States to students. Each section begins with a plate containing a political map, a physical map, and regional maps. Through active participation, by coloring in countries, rivers, regions, etc. (and their respective names), students gain a broader understanding of the material and retain more information. A highly effective, but also enjoyable, way to learn.
Previous problems with paper quality have been corrected for this new (3rd) edition.
For this book I have hand-drawn and lettered all the maps and names of countries, etc., using the same highly effective coloring format that I created for the highly innovative Anatomy Coloring Book which has sold well over three million copies in this country alone.
New features in this edition include the use of extremely bold headings to facilitate content recognition and introductory pages previewing each section.
Accompanying the maps of of states, countries, continents, regions, empires, flags, mountain ranges, rivers, etc. are brief, but informative and often fascinating descriptions enhancing the "learn while you color" process.
You can color eight early empires (including the two Islamic) superimposed over modern maps, clearly showing which countries continue to be bear their historic influences.
Color thematic maps of the world; each dealing with weather, vegetation, ocean currents, prevailing winds, populations, racial distribution, religions and languages.
Similarities among the flags of the world can be observed by coloring them grouped according to the geographic proximity of their countries of origin.
An extensive geographical dictionary, defining and identifying the location of each entry, is provided which also can serve as a dual-function quiz.
Wynn Kapit, the designer of the extremely popular Anatomy Coloring Book, has adapted that same coloring format to the subject of geography. This method of learning has proven to be unsurpassed in developing awareness, achieving retention, and experiencing enjoyment. This edition contains:
- Political maps describing the United States and all the nations of the world according to their regional grouping within a, particular continent.
- Pertinent data about each state or country, plus fascinating facts of historic, geographic, political, or economic nature. These facts are often related to today''s headlines.
- Physical maps of each continent, illustrating the major rivers, mountain ranges, mountain peaks, and specific land regions.
- Visual comparisons of size among the countries themselves, as well as to the various states of the United States.
- Maps, covering larger areas, provide the reader with a bigger picture regarding the location of the country or region under consideration.
- Maps describing the, transformation of the former Soviet Union into fifteen separate nations, and the former Yugoslavia into five new nations.
- Thematic maps of the world describing weather, vegetation, ocean currents, prevailing winds, population, racial distribution, religions, and languages.
- Flags of the world are shown organized according to the geographic locations of their countries of origin.
- Past and future movement of continents over millions of years, plus the location of earthquake and volcano zones.
- Eight historic land empires (see below) superimposed on modern maps with extensive descriptions tracing the rise and fall of each empire.
- An index that serves as a dictionary, identifying and locating each entry. This feature can also be turned into a fascinating, dual-function quiz.